Thursday, November 15, 2007

sew right

I had to go to the Hancock Fabrics near my house to pick up some buttons for Hannah's bibs before sending today. I couldn't believe the cool cottons they have in stock -- Hancock Fabrics??? I bought three yards of some blue/black combos to make the Amy Singer laundry bag out of.

As the cutting-counter attendant measured out and then cut the yards out for me, I felt transported back to my childhood when my mother would take me to the fabric store to pick colors for the clothes she would make me. I usually hated her creations; I wanted store-bought clothing and I just wasn't able to appreciate the time and effort my mother put into making me pinafores and button-down shirts and trousers and skirts. She really was a skilled seamstress, but arthritis has put her crafting on the back-burner these last few years. It's just funny that the distinct sound of the scissors working their way through the fabric on the counter top could conjure such memories.

1 comment:

Polly said...

Can't wait to see your laundry bag and the fabric you chose for it. P x x