Sunday, December 23, 2007

atonement

Not for me, but the movie (even though I do have a list of things to atone for, most recently stiffing that cabbie in NY). I read the book when it came out and swiftly forgot everything about it. Lors called me and asked if I'd like to go to a movie and I was surprised that he chose "Atonement" so I happily agreed to meet up.

I was a mess for the rest of the day. Everything about the plot came back to me in a rush; even though I knew how the movie would end, it was filmed beautifully and I got completely wrapped up in the plot. It was such a great movie (for a war film, no less). I'm still a little weepy just thinking about it... I might have to revisit the book even though I've got "Saturday" on the shelf unread. Decisions, decisions.

I received a couple of lovely emails (yes, email) unexpectedly yesterday and today. The first, from a friend I missed in NY with a casual, "I miss ya" at the end. It made me sad that I didn't stay longer to catch up in person. The second email was from a close friend's partner -- I was under the impression that I was persona non grata in her opinion, but I suppose I was wrong. I'd been given bad information by a 3rd party (i.e. gossip) regarding her feelings towards me and took it for the truth. I'm going to try not to get caught up in rumors and gossip next year -- I think it will save me a load of grief.

In other news I'm headed to Seattle for New Year's! I get to spend some (not really quality) time with Cec before she begins a new quarter at the Uni. I know she's been stressed out and I wish I could do something to help her out, but short of doing her schoolwork and sitting in on exams for her, I can only sit and listen when she's stressed out. I feel really horrible that school is kicking her butt so badly, but I really respect her desire to get good marks. I'm a mediocre student, at best -- read: lazy. I have a thirst for knowledge, but take exception to the bureaucracy of higher learning. I breezed through all my degrees with decent grades, but I could've done better had I put a little effort at all into the work. Oh well, lesson learned should I ever make a return to school...

I'm making green chili today. It's cold outside; there was a call for soup.

No comments: