Thursday, December 27, 2007

b-ball rollin' silver and gold

Last night was interesting... I had already mapped out my evening's entertainment (via TVGuide.com) when I got a call from the Yacobuccis. They invited me over for Christmas but when I never got a phone call with the date and time (funny story, will recount later), I figured the phone call was a kind of confrontational, "where were you?" but it was in actuality an invitation to the Nuggets vs. Bucks game.

Mind you I had lost my head earlier in the day and went to the mall for the day-after sales (and was grossly disappointed that all the good holiday clearance stuff had already been cleared out -- mainly these cards I wanted to get at Urban Outfitters for half off... all gone). I was exhausted when the phone rang... I was half-asleep on the couch and wasn't able to get up and check the message for a good 30 minutes. Anyhow, I haven't really been hanging out with anyone since I've finished work. I've been indulging myself in self-pity and low self-esteem and have been in a sort of self-imposed exile but the phone works both ways and it hasn't really been ringing much anyway. SO, my initial reaction was to stay in on the couch but I went to the game (where we had FLOOR SEATS!) and had a very good time. Annie and I walked home after, hitting up Vita and the "Ping Pong Bar" on the way... we talked, more than we have for the past year, and it was just a great night.

As a side note it struck me as odd that a basketball court is actually quite small -- true, the players are freak-giants so everything looks smaller in comparison, but even before they ran onto the court, when the cheerleaders were doing their thing, everything looked so much smaller... the baskets looked lower and the depth of the court wasn't as grand as it appears on TV. Maybe it was just a weird perspective thing, I don't know, but that was what I took away from the game...

In other news I got a Christmas card from the wife of one of my employers! I hate to sound cheesy about it but it was a very pleasant surprise. Tracy is someone I've always wanted to hang out with -- she was grossly pregnant on the tour we did four years ago so she wasn't drinking or hanging out much, but I could tell she was incredibly smart and funny and would be someone I'd like to have as a friend. Anyhow she rather threw down the gauntlet and challenged me to "get this friendship off the ground!" Yay. It's just interesting how the universe works, you know? I've been feeling quite down about my friends in Denver -- that they tend to let me down but that I can't cut the cords because I've got history with these people. I've been wanting to meet new people -- people who are courteous and kind and I went to a knitting group and met a group of women who are that and more. I was thinking that Tracy is just the kind of person I'd like to call a friend and she sent me a Christmas card and expressed the same sentiment.

I don't know. Things are going to be good in '08... I just have a feeling about it.

No comments: