Saturday, January 12, 2008

heart attack, part deux

I really can't stand bandwagonesque behavior (even though I'm apt to partake myself) -- it's really bad around tragedies. I remember when September 11th happened and a friend of mine, who will remain nameless, had a panic over some guy we had met over the summer at a Radiohead show -- he had been interning at Goldman-Sachs, but I'm fairly certain that his internship had ended by the time we met him in August... anyhow, I felt her concern was more about trying to be connected to the tragedy rather than really caring whether or not this guy had been hurt. It was gross. A similar thing happened this summer when that bridge collapse happened in Minneapolis... three of the guys on our crew (American... coincidence?) just wouldn't SHUT UP about how we had driven across that very bridge 3 days earlier and that, "damn, that was a close call!" No, it wasn't a close call at all.

That said, today instead of being a good girl and going to the pool, I decided to go shopping at the outlets... as I was speeding down I-70, a red blazer cut across all four lanes of traffic, driving East across the Westbound lanes and hit the crash guard. Five of us pulled off the highway, stunned I suppose, because it's really amazing that this guy tore across all those lanes and didn't hit anyone. It was a one-car accident. They were *thisclose* to hitting a bunch of people head-on. I had just been bitching to myself about having been stuck behind a particularly slow Forrester (I have a thing with slow drivers) and suddenly felt lucky that I was slowed down just a little bit -- just enough to be able to slam on my brakes and avoid the out-of-control Blazer. I pulled over to steady my nerves and call 911.

I'm not saying I could've been killed today, because clearly I wasn't involved, but I am saying that other guy was so lucky that I hope he went and bought a lottery ticket.

1 comment:

Marin (AntiM) said...

I think there's a difference between the Tragedy Vampires and a genuine close call. It's a degrees of separation thing.