Tuesday, January 22, 2008

shopping for america

I woke to news that the Dow was down over 400 points at the start of the day... how can they deny we're in the early days of a recession?

So to do my part, I did a bit of shopping... at the Asian market. It's always a treat to go to the mega HMart (it's almost like Walmart for Koreans) because they have amazing things on offer all the time. Unfortunately, I always forget to bring a camera when I go there, so I documented some scores when I got home and unpacked:MyAndrew introduced me to Aloha Shoyu... it's delicious. I prefer it to regular low-sodium Soy Sauce, but I'm still partial to Tamari for cooking. It's just a thing. I've had an addiction to Shrimp Crackers since I was a small child; my mother used to shove a bag in my face whenever we hit the asian market -- I remember sitting in a shopping cart, legs painfully dangling out those leg-holes, slobbering over shrimp crackers. Yes, they're loaded with bad stuff like Palm Oil and MSG but I have a massive soft-spot for these things and I always make sure I get a small(ish) bag to chomp on while I shop... they were 2-for-1 today, so this is the salvaged bag.

The HMart is in close proximity to the "Little Nikita" part of town (i.e. Glendale) so they've always had Eastern European and Russian goodies like canned borscht and pickled veggies from places like Warsaw and Kiev, but there must be more Middle Eastern people in town these days because they now have an aisle dedicated to things like tinned Hommous and Baba Ganouj and other fancy-schmancy canned goods (I picked up some harissa!). I also scored some Tahini -- it was dirt cheap; I just hope it's not made with crude oil...
My last find was sponsored by Brown. Just like my culinary exploits on the recent Seattle trip, the only drinks I bought were brown drinks. The Sexy Man canned coffee? Not so great. Sexy Man aside, I think I'll have to forgo this product on future trips:

2 comments:

Marin (AntiM) said...

If your tahini is made with crude oil, it's probably worth more than what you paid.

I'm thinkin' eBay...

Angifreak said...

Bahaha. Yes, ahem, eBay. It's just that it's a bit more "liquidy" than any other tahini I've ever bought. I'll report on it soonish... I'm sure it's fine.