Saturday, February 16, 2008

marketing 101

I don't know if it's because this year is an election year or if it has something to do with the fact that I spend the bulk of my day in front of the television or if I'm just becoming a tad curmudgeonly or what, but I got so wound up over a detergent commercial that I had to send them hate mail.

Unilever has minimized their laundry detergent bottles but "concentrated" their formula so you still get the same amount of loads out of a bottle 35% smaller than the "traditional" bottle of laundry detergent. One of their selling points is that a smaller bottle = less waste, but I beg to differ. Wouldn't putting the concentrated formula into the traditional bottle = less waste? Fewer bottles purchased means, one would assume, fewer bottles thrown away, no? So I gave them some feedback. I'm not the sharpest nail in the shed, but I take offense at their blatant faulty logic. I got a response 3 days later and it appears I'm not the only one to point out the flaw in their selling point. Score: public-1, multicorp-0.

Another ad campaign which really raises my ire is the Always "have a happy period" campaign. I simply find that slogan offensive. "Happy" and "period" are not complementary -- I assume a man came up with this. Bastards. I don't know if they did this in America, but their European and Canadian products come wrapped in plastic with handy facts written on the outside -- things like, "Chocolate increases seratonin levels in the brain which makes you feel good. You should eat chocolate when you're having your period." I like the factoids, please lose the slogan.

OK, that's all. There's cooking on TV and I feel compelled to watch now.

2 comments:

Polly said...

Eh, okay Ange, I hope I'm not being too controversial by suggesting it might be a good idea to SWITCH OFF THE TV. Take up reading instead, maybe? Polly x x x

Angifreak said...

I know... but I'm reading at a fast clip, too -- so the TV breaks up the reading and vice versa. Luckily I'm now reading a book which requires concentration, so the TV has become my secondary distraction. Between the knitting, reading and watching I have no time for job searching.