Tuesday, April 22, 2008

not much going on here at all

Seriously. There a few things "in the works" but nothing definite... temping is meh, at least the weather is good.

I've been reading "The Last Lecture" -- the book to Randy Pausch's legacy lecture that's been featured all over the internets and TV of late. Oh dear, it's tragic. This guy is so incredibly talented... and smart... and he has a beautiful, young family and it's really just unfair that he's someone who is dying of cancer. It's just not fair. I was thinking of the list of people I wish would die. When I hear of life's major inequities (like Randy Pausch) I wish like Kate Bush I could make a deal with God but instead I'd offer up better candidates for death. I'm sure my name features on someone's death list too, so I'm not going to feel guilty about this. Nope.

I also won't share my list. Not today.

I did manage to hit the pool for half my regularly scheduled laps today. I was overrun by hormonal teenagers playing a very coy game of monkey in the middle. I just couldn't deal... the aqua-aerobics seniors weren't fazed, but I just couldn't do my laps with kids cutting across my lane... and besides, I wore the old swimsuit -- the one with failing elastic. I cut out early with the promise (to myself) that I would get a good run and bike ride in (one mile downhill, one up on the way home and three good, flat miles to jog). Eh, I didn't. I ate chocolate "croissants" instead.

And then I got a phone call with some gossip. It's gossip, but it kind of confirms a suspicion I've had for a while, so I'm a little in the dumps, but it could be worse. I'm just going to go back to The Last Lecture and stop feeling so silly and selfish for an evening.

Today's words: Despite my best efforts, hope prevails.

No comments: