Sunday, July 27, 2008

petoskey

So I was WRONG about Janesville... it's not that it was ghetto, just not this perfect place I imagined. The day had an ominous start when the fair organizer's wife sat down with me at catering and proceeded to quiz me on a number of things: how I got started doing what I do... where I'm from... how we "all met up," etc. She then asked if I had "ever gone to college" and was quite surprised that I had in fact graduated not only from college but that I had a graduate degree as well. She asked why I wasn't "working" and then went on about how someone of my "nationality" shouldn't have any problems finding work. Um. I think I AM working... I mean, I get a paycheck because no matter how nice everyone is out here, I'm not doing this for free... and my Nationality is "American" just like her... but it didn't seem worthwhile to try and explain it all.

I had drama at settlement, but that's another long, boring story.

There was a taxidermy school tent at the fair and I took an interesting photo of a squirrel on an ATV. There was also a duck slide. Don't ask. I'll post video eventually.

Today we're somewhere way up north -- apparently we're just near the Mackinac Bridge -- so... yeah, I still don't really know where we are. The venue is pretty nice, though -- just off the lake... showers... catering... horsetrack... houses? It's odd. That's all I can say. I doubt I'll ever have cause to come to Petoskey again, so I'm going to take it all in and file it away somewhere special.

2 comments:

Polly said...

Bella Lana IS a beautiful yarn shop. P x x x

Angifreak said...

It really is... I'm so glad I stopped there! The white wash on everything made the yarn really pop -- and they had a selection of gorgeous embroidery items which makes me want to learn how to embroider better... oh well, there's years for that yet!