Tuesday, September 23, 2008

one of these things is not like the others

I went to see a friend last night; he's out working for this ROCK band and they were at the Fillmore... suffice it to say, I wasn't the oldest person in attendance, but I was probably the most uncomfortable. To be fair the crowd was really mixed: emo kids, metal heads, frat boys and sorority girls... it was really strange. The first band on the bill was fairly forgettable -- so much so that I barely remember their name (Blind Tide). I do remember that the "lead singer" is only 15 and his father is out with them. Working. Doing backline and driving the van? That's devotion.

The second band on the bill, Bleeding Through, while not my cup 'o tea, was thoroughly entertaining. They got the crowd really riled up -- so much so that they were running in a giant circle around FOH. It was like watching a track meet. I laughed and laughed... and scratched my head. What ever happened to a good old mosh pit?

Scott's band were the headliner, so I had a long wait to say goodbye. I spent a good portion of the show out front -- in front of the venue, on the pavement talking to my friend and tallying up the casualties. I did make it in to see the "wall of death" -- the whole evening was a practice in dumb audience tricks and the wall of death didn't disappoint. The band draw an imaginary line down the middle of the crowd, have them split to sides and then run into each other when the magic word is called. It was thoroughly entertaining. People who you wouldn't expect, on appearance, to do such silly things participated. Oh, good times.

So today I'm exhausted. I bought a car yesterday and I'm having tiny pangs of buyer's remorse... but I really love the car. I also got a couple of really annoying (work related) emails -- one having to do with the tour I did two tours ago... something like four months ago, and the other is just an annoying thing to do with the tour I just finished (but have, in my mind, completely wrapped up). I'll deal with these in a couple of days. I'm upset enough about them at the moment to send some snarky replies back, so I'll cool off and reply when my head is calm.

I'm reading the ticker tape on TV and it's all doom and gloom while Mario Batali cooks with Sam Champion -- they're all smiles and it's just weird. I think I need some coffee.

No comments: