Sunday, November 2, 2008

porto to madrid

casa de musica, porto, portugal

Porto was a fantastic show... really. I didn't get kicked or yelled at (much) and overall I felt really good about the whole thing. We went on at 1:15am and I didn't get back to my room until 5:30am -- at which point I just went straight to bed. I was shit-tired by then.

I slept all day yesterday and wasted a perfectly nice afternoon for a stroll and some photos. Too bad. I will go back to Porto some day. I will see the sea and the view from the other side of the river. I will. All the buildings were tiled and the city just had such a different vibe from day to night. I think I liked it there?

We left the hotel at 10pm last night to arrive in Madrid this morning... I think there must've been some grumbling about me on the bus because I had two people suggest I practice the quick changes. Hmmm. They don't actually take too long -- yesterday our change was up a flight of stairs because there was only one place for us to go -- up to the emergency exit. There was no other place for the band to stand while we changed... soooo I don't know. I feel like I'm constantly apologizing for things which are beyond my control. We're also supposed to have a rack of clothing on stage during the show -- that was impossible at last night's gig. Tonight we have the rack on stage and I'll have to squat under the monitor desk in view of the entire audience. Le sigh. I didn't sign up for this when I accepted the position... it never occurred to me to ask if I'd be on stage during the entire performance. I asked about quick changes and was told that yes, there would be a couple but there are two changes off stage and about 6 on stage. Seriously. I've never worked this hard. I feel like I need a stage towel and water for myself. It's brutal.

Jesus.

So it's sound check at the moment and I'm shitting myself about the show tonight. I don't want to get sacked, but it might happen. I don't know. This wardrobe job really requires two people. I'm also looking after the band while the TM is at the venue looking after the production stuff, and that job alone takes two people. I'm just exhausted. It's 5 weeks yet to the finish line... hopefully I'll make it with all appendages in tact.

No comments: