Monday, February 23, 2009

unimpressed

Am I the only person who could take or leave the Oscars? I got sucked in by the hype -- the secrecy, the promise of "something new and exciting" and yeah, I half-hoped Hugh Jackman would fall on his face while presenting. I loved Jon Stewart as a host... and Steve Martin... and Ellen (did she ever host the Oscars or is that a secret hope of mine?) -- the point is, I like it when comics host because I like the mini-roasts they give the celebs; it's fun watching the beautiful people squirm in their seats.

I did like the opening number -- I thought it was cute, but I'm not convinced that the "musical is BACK!" Was it ever really here? So yeah, I could've done without the song-and-dance bits -- and Beyoncé really needs to give "At Last" a rest. Etta James totally backpedaled and said that she was just joking about all the nasty things she said re: Beyoncé singing "her song" at the Inauguration, but you know it really hurts her feelings... and Etta is a legend, let her have her song. (I could tell my nightmare Etta James story here, but I won't bore you with the details... she was the first prima donna I had to work with and she WORKED me -- I hated her for years, but I'm better now... I have other things to be bitter about).

So... I wish I could get all those hours back but at least it was free and I didn't have to shower or do my hair or anything, so it could've been worse.

No comments: