Saturday, April 18, 2009

on being schooled

Or rather, on making bread. Gourmet's Diary of a Foodie featured an artisan bread maker in NY who explained that all you really need to make a loaf is some flour and water -- that there's yeast floating around in the air around us. Interesting. I don't think I'll test this... I'm sticking with the recipe Susanna posted (already toasted off one loaf... the 2nd one is rising as I type).

I'm really so excited about this! It doesn't mean that I'll never buy a loaf of pre-sliced bread again, but I'm going to make an effort to make things from scratch -- things that scare me like bread and cheese (I had a bad experiment with paneer once... just thinking about it makes me want to gag).

1 comment:

Susanna a.k.a. Cheap Like Me said...

Sweet!!

I would not try wild yeasts either. Well I guess you could give it a whirl ... but my unscientifically proven suspicion would be that there are more yeasts floating around the generally warm, humid environment of NYC than in Colorado. I know I have to add much more water, for instance, to rehydrate flour here in Colorado and at altitude than I did in NYC.