Saturday, August 15, 2009

steampunking at the dpl

Last weekend was chock-full of activity; I had forgotten that I signed up for this "steampunk magnet" class at the library until a couple of days before when they sent me a reminder notice... I was stoked! Steampunk? What's this all about? After a quick google search, I realized that it's like every Tool video... and the ones that Marilyn Manson was doing -- before he was unisex, but after all the blood -- the really old-timey looking ones with mechanical devices and prosthetes... so yeah, it's a design aesthetic and I never knew it had an actual NAME.

So excited for the two hour magnet making class, I rode my bike downtown and sweaty -- not just from the ride, but the EXCITEMENT, I settled in next to a couple of really lovely ladies and readied myself to learn all about this thing. OK, so there was a paper plate in front of me with some papers and bottle caps and stuff but surely this was Part One of our Steampunking Lesson, right? This is a two-hour class... we'll be doing TONS of exciting stuff, right? Nope. we made three magnets. I was out the front door in 20 minutes. So here's how you do it:
  1. Drink beer. Recycle glass, keep bottle caps... rinse (apparently it's optional as mine had all manner of hair and dust and buggy bits).
  2. Find some appropriate images in clip art or whatever... print out on nice heavy-bond glossy paper in color... or sepia toned... or your choice. There were many images of Oscar Wilde and Johnny Depp and you know, scenes from Metropolis and photos of the interior workings of clocks. And unicycles. Lots of unicycles.
  3. Gather other bits: sequins... mechanical bits... whatever. The shinier the better?
  4. Cut out image; glue into bottle cap... throw in other bits and then fill bottle cap with resin. Let dry... glue powerful magnets to the bottom of bottlecaps and voila! Steampunked, y'all!
Look at what I can do:
The suitcase needs some help... don't judge me my taste in music. I see an Outcast CD next to Husky Rescue and Graham Coxon. I haven't bought an actual CD in a while, so these are old. I am old. I am almost 40 years old (I have to practice this now so it doesn't sneak up on me... just over 3 years to ready myself). So, I picked these up at a mid-century modern store that was closing shop and didn't really get them for a song, but close. Two 1950's Samsonite faux croc suitcases for $35. They were probably $5 at whatever garage sale they were picked up at before they became mine, but they're cute. I need a good solution for propping them up -- I don't like seeing them on the floor, but they make really great storage for my often-played CDs (these). I have about 2500 more CDs up in shelves in the loft that I need to unload... I just can't come up with a good storage plan for them -- does anyone know how to run iTunes off an external drive? I'd like to set-up a digital jukebox, but until that time, I'm keeping all my tunes because it's comforting knowing that if I need a "We've Got a Fuzzbox and We're Going to Use It" song for a random video, I have it close at hand. Yeah, I've also got a couple of Black Box CDs... and loads of dubious 90's BritPop.

So these suitcases need to be relined... I need motiviation and cute fabric I think. The water stains, I'm telling myself, give them character. I won't even show the ones in the big case -- they're pretty gross.

No comments: