Thursday, August 6, 2009

when the crazy starts to seep out between the seams

I had a moment the other day. I was exhausted after the hike and just three blocks from the turn-in to my neighborhood, I was almost side-swiped by a large SUV. I will fess up. I am a woman. I am not always a very good driver. I try not to talk on my cell phone when driving because I know how easy it is to get distracted and, I don't know, KILL people so I try to leave the mindless chit chat for times when I'm stationary and concentrate on not dying while driving.

So this woman, she's blah-blahing on her phone... she was weaving in and out of her lane -- as if the yellow line was just a suggestion. I was a little freaked out by her, but ended up next to her anyway and she almost hit me. I slowed down and then she cut me off... she didn't indicate... she didn't do anything. I thought, in that moment, that she had just swerved into my lane. I gave a short honk to say, "Hey, pay attention." Well, she wasn't paying attention. I had a low moment. I leaned into my horn and didn't let up for a good block, when I got to my turn-in. It didn't even phase the woman... she continued to talk and drive erratically.

I don't know why I had the compulsion to honk so aggressively and what was most frustrating is that it didn't make a damn difference. It was a crazy move and I'm sure it won't be the last crazy thing I do. I just need to make an effort to keep it bottled up so I can release it in a socially acceptable way -- like by drinking myself under the table on a random Tuesday.

No comments: