Tuesday, October 20, 2009

even closer to spinster status

If my life were a video game and the objective is to get to "old maid" status, I'm well on my way. I've been doing nothing much more than knitting, reading, cooking, eating and sleeping lately -- it's been great taking a vacation from life, but eventually I'll have to surface.

Thursday was a weird day but I got quite a bit of knitting done on a scarf. I got a recall notice from Volvo months ago, but when I called my closest Volvo service center, they told me that the recall didn't really apply to my vehicle. Fine. I recycled the notice and promptly forgot about it. A couple of weeks ago I got a second notice; this one said that failure to comply might invalidate whatever warranty I had left on my car, so I promptly made an appointment at the far-away Volvo service center and they were able to squeeze me in.

I wasn't surprised that the repair would take a bit of time (the letter they sent me said to expect to spend an hour to 90 minutes waiting) so I took along a scarf. In the end, I had spent 2.5 hours waiting in the "customer lounge" -- a small space that I shared with a number of people -- all of whom came and left while I was waiting. There was Barbara, the older woman (she looked grandmotherly -- like from a commercial) who commented on my knitting; she said she still had a sweater from her high school days that was sitting unfinished... and there were the other people... the guy who paced... the woman who was learning about the heart (she had her computer with her; I assume she was a med student of some sort)... and the loud lawyer who turned the TV off and took out his Blackberry and immediately started calling people: his assistant (who was sick... she sounded awful on the phone) and his sister (whom he would be seeing at the weekend when he, his wife and two kids would be visiting). The sister was going through some trauma: her maid had run over the dog's head and she wasn't sure if she should authorize the cat scan... I was gutted listening to the whole thing. I wanted to grab his phone and yell, "YES!!! RUN TO THE VET!!! GET THE SCAN!!!!" but he was far more practical than me, advising her to "leave it because dogs don't experience pain like we, as humans, do. Besides, isn't the dog quite old?" Urgh. Well... he did have his alumni game to go to and dinners to attend and so spending time talking his sister down from her freakout over the dog... and the maid... and everything was a low priority for him. I was happy when he left.

So the funny advice I got from the guy who handed me my keys was to call if I start to hear something whirring around inside my engine since the part they put in was new... and plastic... and that that can happen sometimes to the new ones.

Then I got home and there was a can of worms waiting to be opened. It was a stellar day.

2 comments:

Susanna a.k.a. Cheap Like Me said...

Ay. Yi. Yi. Don't run over the dog's head.

Angifreak said...

I know... he was a douche. I felt really bad for the dog; I hope the sister did the right thing and ordered the scan.