Wednesday, November 25, 2009

new york... new york. week one.

Well, I'm almost to the end of my first week in NYC. To date, I've done pretty much nothing! My goal on this trip (aside from the house sitting and pet sitting that I'm here for) is to do as many touristy type things as possible -- today I did my first one. I went to the inflation for the Macy's Thanksgiving Parade -- all the way up behind the Natural History Museum.

OK, so everything I read said it starts at about 3pm... right. I didn't want to have to hang out too long to see the things inflate, so I waited until about 6pm -- which a woman at a knitting shop advised me to do. Whoa, Nelly. I had an inkling when I changed trains at Columbus Circle... there were quite a few kids on my train... I knew it was going to be a little crazy, but I really didn't have a clue. The police were directing traffic; everyone was moving in a weird circle around the museum and once we were halfway down the block, we could hear the generators (over the piped-in Christmas muzak) and see giant blobs of plastic. All the characters were strapped and netted down (to prevent their premature escape) -- I saw Snoopy so I was happy. SpongeBob Square Pants was on the other side -- all the kids were crying over it. I skipped side two -- Snoopy and Hello Kitty were enough... and the 10-deep crowd was unnerving.

I'll post pictures later. I need to take the dogs out for a wee first.

Another really great NY moment happened on a really crowded subway train last night. I went up to Yarntopia (near Columbia University) for their Tuesday knit night to meet someone from Ravelry -- but it was during rush our. Nightmare! There was a woman on the train across from me and it was clear she was upset about something -- she was acting out about the people around her and eventually had a really odd outburst. Anyhow, there was a stroller in front of me with the cutest 18 month old... he was getting upset over the car being so crowded... he couldn't see his mother, who was sitting next to me. Eventually another mother got on with her two kids -- one in a stroller and they sat opposite us (next to the upset woman). Her two-year old little girl grabbed the upset toddler's hand and reassured him. It was just really cute. It's like how dogs can suss each other out just by sniffing bottoms... and then everything is cool. The woman who was so upset could've learned something from these toddlers.

OK. Out into the rain and up to the roof... It's cold so I'm praying PT won't hop over to the other side and head down the dead pigeon fire escape... that was another adventure I'll recount on another day.

No comments: